Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Medical Provider's Story

I knew the moment I read the advertisement for volunteers for Project Homeless Connect in my church bulletin that I was being called personally to be used in a mighty way. I am a medical professional, and my career is also my purpose in life and for this I am blessed. Daily, I get the opportunity to not only assist those seeking medical care, I get to touch, encourage and bless each and every individual I come in contact with.

Being involved in mission work with the homeless population in the past, I know well that you take away more then you can ever give. I was delighted to get the chance to have the opportunity, in this town that I love, in which I was born and raised.

I was part of the outreach in which Northwest Eye Physcians was donating their staff, doctors and supplies to those with visual defects. I will never forget one of our first patients. This gentlemen was overjoyed upon his checkout, barely able to see without squinting upon our first meeting, he was now leaving with a new set of eyes and a new outlook on life. His smile was wide and his gratitude was overflowing. With his new eyes he exclaimed that we were beautiful ladies and that he loved Jesus. He then gave my partner and I a card with a scripture on it for the book of Jeremiah, his last two cards that he wanted us to have for blessing him, little did he know he blessed us. I now carry the card I was given in my car as a constant reminder to have a new, fresh outlook on life daily.

There were many amazing guests that touched us throughout the day. I made a point of heading out for lunch, to join the other guests/volunteers. I found myself next to a conversation that helped me understand the issues facing the homeless better. During lunch I found myself next to a pleasant 51 year old gentleman. The hand he has been dealt in life has been far from a fair one. Placed in foster care at the age of 3, separated from 7 siblings. Orphaned until the age of 7. Placed in a foster home. Abused. Neglected. No guidance, onto a life of crime. 2 felonies. Prison. A record. Then homelessness. This man desires to work, he is strong and proud. He does not like handouts. He is looking for a break. He does temporary work, but the jobs in this economy are becoming harder and harder to come by. Every employer does background checks and no one is willing to give him a shot. He is unable to overcome the mistakes of the past. Mistakes I feel were made by a person who was not properly cared for and guided. I felt hopeless for him. We ended our exchange with him telling me despite all the negative, he wakes up daily with a smile. He also told me he doesn't have it as bad as others with mental illnesses, physical disabilities. He lives in his van, others are out in the cold.

During our conversation a man, genuinely touched by the outpouring of the day stood in front of the dining room. With a trembling voice h e praised the volunteers that reached out that day. He stated he felt more love and compassion on that day then in any other time in his travels. It brought tears to my eyes. Did this man not know that they did more for us that day, than we could have ever done for them? For this experience I will be eternally grateful. Looking forward to next year with great anticipation.

-Tawnya Heredia

No comments:

Post a Comment